I identify as a West Coaster and as of late I have been experiencing the East Coast. One of my favorite things about traveling and meeting people anywhere is the different sayings people have that they say because they heard it all the time growing up. Some call these idioms or colloquialisms. I often have to stop people to figure out what they mean because I really would not even begin to be able to guess. Here are a few of my new favorites:
"Like a duck on a junebug" ~ Now when I heard this one I guessed that the duck was going to smash the junebug but it turns out it is the equivalent to the idiom I know, like white on rice. Apparently ducks really like junebugs. Who knew?
"Never buy a pig in a poke" ~ First fact a needed to know is that a poke can be translated to bag. Once you know that it is little more clear that this one means do not accept something without examining it for yourself.
"Happier than a dead hog in the sunshine" ~ The person that said this was actually from Alabama so this one my be southern but even she could not explain why this would make the dead hog happy but it is supposed to express being really happy.
"Colder than a witches tit in a brass bra" ~ This one was not hard to understand and painted quite a vivid mental picture. How could I not laugh at that one!?
There also many that are centered around coons but for now this is all you get :) Hopefully I start catching on by myself but as fair warning to those that have conversations with me, know your idioms! I will be interrogating you on what they mean and where they came from.
Please not you said "Juebugs" can be pronounced as "Jew Bugs,"...Also I found a couple other errors. :)...I will work on my idioms!
ReplyDeleteAnd by errors I mean mis-spells.
ReplyDelete